Finals August 25 Recap

It’s grand final time and we’re here to win championships baby!!

State Championship Men
State Championship Women
Division One Men
Division One Women
Division Two Men
Division Two Women
Molten Victorian Youth Championship Men
Molten Victorian Youth Championship Women
Youth League One Men
Youth League One Women
Youth League Two Men
Youth League Two Women

State Championship Men

Grand Final – Game One

Eltham 71 def. by Ringwood 99

Ringwood lead 1-0


The all-conquering Hawks are just a win away from an historic three-peat after a dominant game one victory over the Wildcats in Eltham.

With two games in Ringwood to come it was a crucial match for the home team and they started strongly, taking up the early running to lead it 17-10 midway through the opening term.

That’s largely where the fun stopped, however, as the reigning champions kicked it up a gear.

A four-point Eltham lead at quarter-time quickly became an eight-point halftime lead for the visitors as they used a 24-12 second quarter to set up the result.

The ‘Cats tried to hit back in the third but were unable to cut into Ringwood’s lead and things quickly blew out past double digits.

The Hawks made sure of things as they put their foot down again in the final 10 minutes as the match quickly turned into a rout.

Matt Fennell (26pts 8reb 3ast) and Jacob Gibson (25pts 7reb 2ast) were the dominant pair for the victors, while for Eltham it was all left up to Ben Waldren (29pts 4reb 3ast 3stl 3blk).

The series now heads to The Rings as the Hawks look to close things out.

State Championship Women

Grand Final Series – Game 1

Sth Peninsula 50 lost to Sunbury 85

Hunting a third successive championship, the Sunbury Jets are in the driver’s seat following a comprehensive 35pt win at the Shark Tank. It was a down night for the home team, they just couldn’t get going and looked a little overawed during a first-­half where the Jets dropped 46pts to 25pts.

Chelsea Burns got the Jets going early, showing years of experience and leadership, her 14pts and four treys for the game were telling. The visitors delivered five starters in double-­‐digits, another significant sign of just how dominant the victory was.

Struggling to find their shot, the Sharks went 2/23 from the arc at an 8% clip, diminishing what is usually a strong part of their game. Jaz Shelley (5pts), Liv Pollerd (0pts) and Sydney Coleman (2pts) were all extremely well held and arguably had their collective worst night of the season.

Giving her all, Peyton Little scored 22pts for the home team, but she lacked support.

For the victorious Jets, Kerryn Harrington (19pts), Orla O’Reilly (14pts), Elyse Penaluna (14pts, 12rbs) and Josie Stockill (10pts) all played well.

With a 1-­0 lead, the Jets will now return home and look extremely confident to wrap this series up on Saturday night. Can the Sharks bounce back?

Division One Men

Grand Final Series – Game 1

Shepparton 83 lost to Chelsea 94

The Gulls are one step closer to reversing last season’s loss in the GF series after toppling the Gators courtesy of a blistering second half. Led by yet another unstoppable performance by Corey Standerfer, the visitors got the job done away from home with a 47-­‐34 run after the main break.

Chelsea’s star import dropped 42pts and looks like a man on a mission. Mitch Riggs added 26pts and could well be billed as the mid-­‐season recruit of the year. His presence in this Chelsea outfit has delivered in spades and yet again he played the ideal support role to Standerfer. The Gulls shot at 52% and turned the ball over just three times – both telling stats in the win.

For the home team, who only suited up eight players, Spencer Coleman (24pts) and Cameron Vines (23pts) did all they could, while Jake Cowling delivered an impressive 19pts. The Gators had plenty of vocal support and were more than competitive during the first half, but when Chelsea lifted a gear in the third period Shepparton just couldn’t match them.

The series heads to Melbourne now with Chelsea opening Patterson River Stadium on Saturday night for game 2 and with a huge crowd expected to pack in and cheer the Gulls on, it is extremely hard to think Standerfer and his team won’t be hoisting some silverware later that night.

However, the Gators are still in the fight and they showed enough in the opening game to suggest they are a chance, albeit without the luxury of dropping another game. It’s not over yet, but the Gulls head home with a very large advantage.

Division One Women

Casey 70 def Warrnambool 64

Casey has taken the spoils in game one of the Big V Division One Women’s grand final series, setting the stage for next weekend’s season-ending clashes.

The Arc was packed to the brim as the Mermaids looked to defend home court for the final time in 2018… but the Cavaliers charged out of the blocks early – dropping shots early through Rebecca Borham, Amanda Hobba and Jamie-Lee Jeffs (16 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists) to establish a 10-point gap. As it would be throughout the entire clash, Casey couldn’t quite shake a dogged Warrnambool roster as they reeled them back in again and again.

The second term was a nightmare for the home side as Casey went ballistic. Kaitlyn Wakartschuk, Tarryn Wilkin and Jamie-Lee Jeffs had it on a string and pushed the Mermaids to the brink. At 50-25 just after the half, the game seemed out of Warrnambool’s grasp… but there was plenty left in the tank from the country stars.

Whatever was said at half time seemed to wake up the dormant Mermaids as they went on a scoring spree soon into the third term to get the home crowd on its feet.

Amy Wormald (21 points, 13 rebounds, eight steals, three blocks) put in an almighty effort alongside Katie O’Keefe (13 points) and an off-the-bench superb performance from Holly Greene (11 points, eight rebounds) to drag the gap back.

In the blink of an eye the margin began to vanish – Casey’s best efforts had gone missing while Warrnambool was white hot and flying towards the final quarter only 10 points in arrears. Green and O’Keefe launched from beyond the arc at The Arc to slash the gap even further and leave Casey looking for one last salvo to get across the line. Wormald and O’Keefe brought it back to two points with only a couple of minutes on the clock as the tension started to ramp up dramatically.

Digging in for one last sustained effort, Tanarly Hood made a sequence of free throws after a technical foul to clinch the game and take crucial momentum heading into games two and three back at Casey Stadium.

The Cavaliers will have two attempts at taking this one out in front of their home crowd, but if this season has taught us anything it’s that the Mermaids can not be underestimated. With a must-win clash on Saturday, there’s plenty of motivation to take it out and force the decider on Sunday. However it pans out, expect fireworks on Saturday night down at Casey Stadium.

Division Two Men

Coburg 76 defeated Mildura 70

There would have been plenty to cheer about on the way home after Coburg claimed a thrilling six-point win in the first clash of the Division 2 Men’s grand final series.

The Hothouse lived up to its name as the action lit up Mildura and brought out some frenetic, energetic basketball across an incredible 40 minutes.

The defensive glass was guarded to the death as both sides combined only racked up 10 offensive rebounds. It was attritional and played mostly under the rim as the Giants and Heat forced the issue up close.

You could scarcely split the sides as they both hit 24 from the field and nailed five-apiece from beyond the arc. This was a match won in incremental areas. Piece by piece Coburg slot together the match-winning performance, but not without a heaping amount of hard graft from Mildura standing in its way.

The surge started early for the Giants, led by Patrick Green (16 points, nine rebounds) launching the first three only seven seconds into the clash. In league with Jeremiah Juric (19 points) and Mweemba Maluma (15 points), Coburg raced ahead to knock down an impressive 26-17 opening stanza as Mildura tried to keep up.

Mildura stuck by its best four and the likes of Calvin Henry (26 points, 12 rebounds, six blocks, five assists), Dallas Brown (18 points, nine rebounds) and David Meyer (13 points, nine rebounds) went about dragging the gap back. Henry was almighty across the board for the Heat as he reeled in rebounds, swatted everything Coburg could muster out of the sky and stood tall as the cornerstone of the offence and defence. Their efforts brought the clash to a two-point game at the major break and left plenty of questions for both sides to answer.

Another attritional term through the third left the game wide open. Toe-to-toe and shot-for-shot, neither Heat nor the Giants could take momentum. Mildura launched early into the fourth as Brown nailed the go-ahead three-ball and from there the lead changed hands on just about every possession. Matthew Roche (seven points) shone in the trenches as the captain nailed the go-ahead lay-up with 58 seconds left on the clock.

Mildura had its chance to level it once again, but the shot didn’t fall and left Coburg to go to the line and ice the first grand final clash. With scarcely anything splitting the sides heading into this weekend’s games – there will be plenty to watch down at Coburg Basketball Stadium.

Division Two Women

Grand Final Game One

Blackburn 61 defeated Craigieburn 49

Blackburn leads series 1-0 


The Blackburn Vikings have held home court to take Game One in their best-of-three series against Craigieburn at Mullum Mullum Stadium on Saturday night.

The Vikings burst out to a six-point lead after the first term, but really put the foot down in the second to hold a near game-high 16-point lead by the main break.

Andrea Belmonte continued to show her class this season, with 19 points and eight rebounds. She was aided by valuable teammates in Nikolina Sukurica (10 points) and Samantha Zennaro (8 points, 4 rebounds) both off the bench.

Allanna Procak posted 12 points for the Eagles, while Nicole Cameron (10 points, 12 rebounds) recorded a double double in 30 minutes.

The Vikes held Craigieburn to just 24%FG from the field, which was testing for the Eagles in front of a loud crowd full of Blackburn faithful.

The series now shifts to the Craigieburn Sports Stadium, where the Eagles look to return serve in Game Two and ultimately force a deciding Game Three in order to claim the Division Two Women’ championship. For the Vikings, they now have two chances to claim a road victory to lift the banner themselves.

Blackburn 61 (Belmonte 19, Sukurica 10, Zennaro 8) defeated Craigieburn 49 (A.Procak 12, Cameron 10, S.Procak 8, Katu 8)

Molten Victorian Youth Championship Men

Season Completed

Molten Victorian Youth Championship Women

Season Completed

Youth League One Men

Season Completed

Youth League One Women 

Keilor 45 defeated by Sunbury 68

Sunbury wins series 2-0


The Sunbury Jets are Youth League One Women’s champions, making it back-to-back ‘chips after the Jets claimed gold in Youth League Two Women last year.

In a spirited performance, the Jets used the confidence they built from last week to propel themselves into a massive first quarter, holding the home side to just seven points. The visitors weathered the storm in the second term, before making another huge push just after half time to extend the margin to an unassailable and championship winning lead.

Sunbury held the Thunder to shoot just 20%FG on their home deck, which allowed the Jets to grab a whopping 63 rebounds, although an effective 21 of them came on the offensive end creating second chance points.

Chloe Angove once again led the side with 13 points and nine rebounds, although didn’t shoot the ball as effectively as she did in Game One. Ally Stewart was once again a presence off the bench, recording 13 points and four rebounds in just under 12 minutes. Emily Conn was brilliant in a variety of areas, finishing up with eight points, seven rebounds, six assists and six steals.

For the Thunder, well, it didn’t end in the best of ways after finishing on top of the table. Amelia Velardo recorded 14 points and Tashia Overby had 12 points and 19 rebounds.

The Jets seal their fate now to progress to the Youth League’s top flight, with two successive promotions putting them in position for another tough challenge in season 2019.

Keilor 45 (Velardo 14, Overby 12) defeated by Sunbury 68 (Angove 13, Stewart 13)

Youth League Two Men

Frankston 71 defeated Pakenham 70

Frankston win series 2-0


In a huge stage of events, the Frankston Blues have stunned the Pakenham Warriors in the fourth quarter of Game Two to claim the Youth League Two Men’s championship in two games.

The Warriors led by 16-points heading into the final term, but coughed up a 27-12 fourth quarter, highlighted by the game winning three-pointer with just 15 seconds remaining from Mitch Zuijdwijk (10 points).

Ryan Wells led the way for the Blues with 17 points, seven rebounds and three assists, while Josh Cleary posted 12 points. Frankston also found some energy off their bench, as Tom Garrett (8 points) and Tyson Carr (7 points) provided some punch off the pine.

For the Warriors, it was a much improved performance after the Game One debacle, getting much better games out of Ned Weideman (15 points, 5 rebounds) and Nathan Dodgson (14 points, 9 rebounds). However, even 14 points and eight rebounds from Tom Greer and 10 points from Lee Belton wasn’t enough to steer them over the line, just ousted by the league leaders.

The victory secures a return championship just six months after re-entering the Big V competition in March. The Blues will now set their sights on continuing to move up the competition rankings and look to solidify themselves in Youth League One Men.

Frankston 71 (Wells 17, Cleary 12) defeated Pakenham 70 (Weideman 15, Dodgson 14)

Youth League Two Women

Grand Final – Game One

Frankston Blues 67 def by Casey Cavaliers 80

Casey lead 1-0


The Casey Cavaliers have powered past their grand final opponents in Frankston using breath taking second and third quarters to edge past their rivals to take Game One in the best-of-three series 80-67.

A 17-8 second quarter was backed up after half time with a 28-19 third stanza which extended the lead out to 16-points by the final break. The Cavs bench came up huge in this one, with 38 total bench points from their second unit.

It was led by Rebecca Jones who poured in 18 points to go with three rebounds, three assists and three steals. Kim Shankland recorded 13 points, three steals and two blocks, while Rebecca Peacock continued her stellar form with 14 points, eight rebounds and six steals

For the Blues, Tori Jackson led the way with 17 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks. Ally Yates and Kassie Boorer (11 rebounds) both posted 13 points and will have to be just as good, if not better if the Blues are to travel to Casey next week and pinch two games on the road.

The Cavs are now one game away from lifting the Youth League Two Women championship after finishing on top of the table of the regular season.

Frankston 67 (Jackson 17, Yates 13, Boorer 13) def by Casey 80 (Jones 18, Peacock 14, Shankland 13)

other headlines:
Featured News